Dear West Niagara students and families,
Our goal has always been to open the doors of what we know will be an exceptional, beautiful new school, in September 2022. However, due to the impacts of the global pandemic, and the barriers and delays it caused, the West Niagara Secondary School building will not be ready to open by September 2022. When we have a clearer projection of when the building will be completed, we will share an update.
The delay of the West Niagara Secondary School build is disappointing news for all of us. We have been looking forward to opening this school to you, and having you experience everything it will offer, for a very long time. Please be assured, there is a detailed plan in place for West Niagara students this fall.
What does this mean for future West Niagara students?
Current students in Grades 9, 10, and 11 at Grimsby Secondary School (GSS) and Beamsville District Secondary School (BDSS), along with incoming Grade 9 students from feeder schools, will officially be enrolled at West Niagara Secondary School, together. Even though the building itself is not ready, it won't stop students from uniting as the West Niagara Wolf Pack.
Starting in September 2022, students from GSS and BDSS will be enrolled as students in West Niagara Secondary School:
- Students will attend the GSS location for all regular classes and programming
- The facilities at BDSS will be used for specialty courses and programs
- Transportation to and from the GSS site, and between the GSS and BDSS sites, will be provided
- The courses and programs students requested through our recent course interest survey will still be offered beginning September 2022, along with extracurriculars, clubs, and teams
- We are working on getting the synthetic turf track and field ready for use at the West Niagara Secondary School site this year as well, in September 2022
This is the information we have for now. We will contact families again as soon as we have more updates to share with you. Before then, if you have any questions, please contact Mat Miller, appointed principal for West Niagara Secondary School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support, patience, and understanding as we work through this.